Scan Bar Codes & Earn Big Rewards With Shop and Scan

by Admin Joe

updated – Dec 8th 2020

We all have to shop at some point in time whether it be for groceries or whatever else. How would you feel if I told you that a website exists that will financially reward you for this? Simply for sharing information based on your shopping routine.

I don’t know about you but I was excited when I first heard that. Admittedly, not as excited as I was when I first saw Salma Hayek in From Dusk Till Dawn. Although, still pretty happy about it all the same. I’m sorry, I’m going a little off-topic here.

The fact is companies will pay you for something that you already do for free anyway. No extra work involved. You can do all of this online from the comfort of your own home. This works in a similar way to mystery shopping.

Pay attention, shopaholics! The more often that you shop, the more fruitful this earner will be. It could be your weekly food shop or perhaps another separate shopping trip. How great is that!?

So what is Shop and Scan? Shop and Scan is a website that pays you to scan bar codes and submit receipts. You will generally just record your shopping habits with them to earn money.

There are also other market research organizations like Nielsen that allow you to do something similar.

Your shopping data is very valuable to these companies. This is so true that they’re more than willing to compensate you for sharing it with them. Everybody wins!

In 2014, the total global retail sales came to just over $22 trillion. It goes without saying, but that’s a lot of money. This should give you a big clue why it’s possible for someone like you to financially benefit from an organization like Shop and Scan.

This post will walk you through exactly what Shop and Scan is. I will also show how you can make the most earnings from this opportunity. Come with me now as I break down how Shop and Scan really works and how you can benefit from it.

Scan Bar Codes & Earn Big Rewards With Shop and Scan code shopping scanning supermarket grocery groceries data habits receipts

What does Shop and Scan want me to do?

How does Shop and Scan work? Shop and Scan try to make it very simple for their users. You can learn the basic process through the following 11 steps:

1. Sign up to the Shop and Scan website
  2. Complete your profile questions
  3. Wait for your handheld bar code scanner and booklet delivery to arrive at your home address
  4. Read the instructional booklet thoroughly and all the way to the end
  5. Go out shopping and then return home (online grocery shopping counts too)
  6. Scan all of the bar codes on the items that you have purchased
  7. Scan or take a photo of your receipt
  8. Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 for every shop you do for that week
  9. Submit all of your collective data (scans and receipt photos) at the end of the week, before the deadline
  10. Wait for the website to clear and approve your earned points
  11. Use your available points to redeem your preferred rewards

I can definitely understand that there are quite a few steps there. I can assure you that it’s nowhere near as difficult as I (foolishly) just made it look

You don’t really have to go out of your way to take part in this earner. Simply just do your regular shop and record all your information. That’s all there is to it. 

When will my equipment arrive?

The equipment that Shop and Scan need to mail you will take a few working days to get to you. You just need to be patient.

I would recommend that you read the booklet through 2 or 3 times once you have it. This is so that you are up to speed on everything and don’t make any newbie mistakes.

postman mailman courier home pickup collection postage packaging shipping delivery eCommerce online selling tips tricks Bar Codes Shop and Scan code shopping scanning supermarket grocery groceries data habits receipts

When is the deadline for data transmissions?

Shop and Scan weeks usually overlap at the end of the weekend. Make sure you get everything done before the deadline if you want to claim the points for that specific week.

If you are late then you will have missed out on a whole week’s worth of points. I know this feeling from experience and it’s not pleasant.

What happens if my bar code scanner stops working?

Sometimes the handheld bar code scanner will accumulate dirt on the end where the sensor is. This will happen inevitably happen after a while and it will not scan bar codes properly.

If this happens, all you need to do is give it a quick wipe down with a soft cloth. It should start working again after that. Clean and maintain your equipment regularly to prevent this from happening in the future.

If your scanner still doesn’t work after all this then you should get in touch with Shop and Scan. They will then likely send you a replacement and it should be free of charge.

However, if they find out that the damage is your fault then you may have to pay a small fee.

Which information does Shop and Scan specifically want?

Shop and Scan may want to know:

• which stores you visit (including location)
  • what you have purchased
  • when your shop took place
  • the reason for your shop (main shop, top-up or specific item you wanted to buy)
  • who you were with
  • who you bought for
  • how much money you have spent
LiveCareer.com

What do I do with products without bar codes?

As a new member to Shop and Scan, I was definitely puzzled about the game plan for this particular scenario. You will certainly need to take into consideration items without bar codes. These can be items such as loose fruit and vegetables.

Of course, it doesn’t take a genius to understand that you clearly can’t scan these kinds of items without a bar code. Although, it’s still important to log them nevertheless. So, what the hell do we do about this?

I will enlighten you, there are particular pages in the booklet for items without bar codes. These segments will tell you exactly what to do when this occurs.

Like I say, they specifically design pages full of bar codes for the products that don’t have bar codes. For example, there is a page with pictures of loose fruit including the relevant accompanying bar codes next to them.

Consequently, all you have to do is scan the bar code next to the photo that most accurately describes what you purchased. This will essentially solve the bar code-less problem that we were having.

If you can’t find the exact item that you purchased in these pages then I suggest that you just go for the product that is most similar to it.

If you really can’t find anything even close to what you bought then you may want to disregard it altogether. You can discount this item from your records. The product will show up on your receipt anyway so it isn’t a huge problem.

loose fruit and vegetables bar codes shop and scan code shopping scanning supermarket grocery groceries data habits receipts

How do I get an invitation number from Shop and Scan?

It can be tricky, but if you want to sign up to Shop and Scan then you will need an invitation number. You won’t get very far without this. It can be a little bit like trying to find a golden ticket while desperately clawing through crate after crate of wonka bars.

Maybe I’m exaggerating a smidge. On the other hand, Shop and scan can be quite picky when it comes to their membership. It’s not a case of “the more, the merrier”. An already existing member has to refer the invitation number directly to you.

If you don’t know anyone who is a Shop and Scan user then you can always do some more digging online.

Try using Google or another search engine. There are sometimes blogs and forums out there that contain invitation numbers. You just have to look for them like I did.

Shop and Scan warn you against using somebody else’s invitation number. The number won’t be valid after the first use. Clearly, this is unfair to genuine applicants so be careful not to break this rule.

How do I apply for Shop and Scan?

This company is usually invitation only however there is an alternative way of applying. This is to visit volunteer4panels.com and fill out the application form. This is also useful if you want to invite friends to join you as a member of Shop and Scan.

The website will most likely have lots of applications coming down the pipe. It may take a while for them to respond to you. In my case, it took about a week.

The application process itself should be fairly straightforward. There aren’t that many hoops that they need you to jump through.

Can anyone apply for Shop and Scan?

Who can use Shop and Scan? On certain occasions, they will reject specific people. This is down to whether you fit a specific demographic that they are looking for.

Don’t take it personally as they may well just have too many people with one thing in common. Alternatively, they may have very few people who fall under a different attribute.

You will just have to be patient if this happens and try again at a different time. What Shop and Scan need will likely change in the future.

As someone from the UK, my application went through fine. If you reside in a different country then there is a chance that you won’t be able to sign up. Shop and Scan only accepts a handful of nationalities at the moment. A lot of it comes down to where you live.

Also, you will be unable to register if you are using an Apple Mac or older operating systems like Windows 2000 or earlier. This is because they won’t be compatible.

people family demographic generations mystery shopping secret shopper bar codes shop and scan code shopping scanning supermarket grocery groceries data habits receipts

How did Shop and Scan begin?

This organisation originated in London as a market research business. They are actually part of another company by the name of Kantar Worldpanel. Some people know them as the Kantar Group. They also operate globally in over 50 countries.

It might surprise you to hear about just how long Kantar Worldpanel has been running. They were one of the first companies in the UK to offer consumer panels like this one. Not to mention, they have been going for over 40 years now.

Can I trust Shop and Scan with my data?

Much like many paid survey sites, Shop and Scan follows the rules of MRS code of conduct. This is part of why so many people trust and respect them.

I personally have been using this website for a long time. They have always been reliable for me, albeit one or two hiccups. I would recommend for anyone to at least try Shop and Scan just for at least a little while.

They have also got a fairly decent rating on trustpilot which is a promising sign. If they still haven’t won your over then there are also all of the positive reviews and user testimonials to consider.

Will Shop and Scan ever terminate my account?

The only remotely negative thing I hear about Shop and Scan is that they may terminate the accounts of users.

This may be down to inactivity (even for just a short period of time) or abuse of the system. I’ve only heard about this happening on very rare occasions so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

What sort of equipment do I need?

This is essentially split up into two camps. There is the gear that the company deliver to you when you start. Secondly, there is the equipment that you already need to own in order to participate. You will need to own:

• a computer with internet access
  • a camera
  • enough money to purchase what you want while shopping

I assume you may already have all these things seeing as you’re using THIS website right now. Most smartphones have built-in cameras these days anyway. This includes my stone age 10-year-old and counting one.

You can either use a flatbed scanner or a digital camera to capture the image of the receipt. Pick the one that is easiest and most convenient for you.

flatbed scanner equipment bar codes shop and scan code shopping scanning supermarket grocery groceries data habits receipts

What equipment will Shop and Scan send to me?

Shortly after you first register as a member, they will send you lots of free stuff before you start like a:

• handheld bar code scanner
  • USB cable
  • helpful booklet

In my experience, it shouldn’t take more than two weeks to reach you. You will also receive a surprise free fridge magnet if you are lucky and maybe some other goodies. 

They have given this bar code scanner the nickname of ‘the clicker‘ which is useful to know for reference. If you ever get stuck, then the booklet contains all the information you could ever wish to know.

It’s useful to keep the booklet at hand while doing this as you can just look things up pretty quickly. The pages in the booklet are color-coded to make it easier for you to follow.

How do I use the USB cable?

In this case, the USB cable has two functions. The first function is so that you can recharge your handheld bar code scanner from your computer. This is vital when the battery runs low, or runs out completely.

The second and most important use is to transmit your weekly bar code data to Shop and Scan. 

How many bar codes & receipts can I submit each week?

There is no limit. The more shopping you do, the more potential earnings that you can make.

All of your bar code scans each week tend to count for just one set of points they pay you. Although, I believe Shop and Scan will pay you separately for every receipt that you submit. Feel free to go crazy.

Remember to hang on to all your receipts and store them in a safe place. You can ask other household members to do the same thing.

Be Rewarded with the Web's Premiere Rewards Site

How active do I need to be on Shop and Scan?

You might find that you don’t need to do any shopping during the week. This may simply be because you don’t need anything in particular.

In this case, there is always the option to say that you didn’t buy anything. You may already be fully stocked up on mascarpone cheese … or whatever.

This is fine as long as you don’t make it a regular occurrence. Shop and Scan like to have users who will keep them updated on a regular basis.

I would advise you make at least one purchase per week. They can’t accuse you of being an inactive member this way. If I were you, I would do this just to be safe.

product number listing eBay online selling tips eCommerce flatbed scanner equipment bar codes shop and scan code shopping scanning supermarket grocery groceries data habits receipts

How will Shop and Scan reward me?

There is a separate rewards account that you will need to register with. You can then log in to when it comes time to redeem your rewards. It’s not a massive leap and they will explain this to you when you sign up.

The only real downside to Shop and Scan (at least for me) is the fact that there isn’t a cash, bank transfer or PayPal option at the moment. However, this might change in the future.

This is a real bummer. I love Shop and Scan but this is probably the thing that aggravates me the most. They will reward you with points instead which you can use to redeem various gift cards and other goods.

How many points can I earn per week?

How much money can I earn from Shop and Scan? You will earn 1100 points (£1.10) for a successful weekly bar code scanner transmission.

In addition, you will get 500 points (£0.50) for each receipt photo or scan that you upload. It’s fairly rare, but they sometimes also offer paid surveys for extra income.

In my opinion, it’s nice to have this additional stream of income besides bar code scanning. It breaks up all monotony of the work.

Shop and Scan will distribute points for the prior week every Monday. I must add that there is a payment threshold in place. You will need to break through this before you can receive your rewards.

You will usually need to accumulate at least 10000 points in order to redeem a £10 gift card/voucher so keep that in mind.

How can I spend my points with Shop and Scan?

There are a wide range of different products available on Shop and Scan’s very own reward site. This is essentially their own little shopping website exclusively for members who want to spend their points.

I’ve found this to be okay, but at the same time some of the products are a little overpriced. They may ask you for more points than something might be worth when you really add it all up in your head.

I’ve personally found that redeeming Amazon gift cards offer the best value for money. This is probably my favorite reward to receive.

Amazon offers a large selection of different items you can buy using your gift card balance. It’s probably the closest thing there is to cash that Shop and Scan currently offers.

coupons gift cards vouchers eBay store shop fees upgrades eCommerce online selling paid surveys paid survey mistakes user testing apps websites usability product number listing eBay online selling tips eCommerce flatbed scanner equipment bar codes shop and scan code shopping scanning supermarket grocery groceries data habits receipts How Driven Flyer Distributors Earn Bonuses, Commission & Freebies biller billing bonus brochure business cards catalog deliver delivery distributing distribution distributor door drop jobs leaflet leafleter magazine make money marketing menus newspaper poster sell selling

Which gift cards & vouchers do Shop and Scan offer?

You can earn gift cards, coupons and vouchers for well-known brands such as:

How often will I need to participate?

Regular participation is important so you need to make a habit of doing this on a weekly basis. Shop and Scan would ideally like you to do this for every single one of your shops, but once a week is still fine.

Shop and Scan pay out on a weekly basis as I’ve mentioned. Try to find time during the week to record your purchases. It shouldn’t be too time-consuming. You can then choose the reward that you would like to redeem after your points clear.

What happens if I want to take time off?

You shouldn’t get into a bad habit of missing out weeks. If this happens, shop and scan may then pull you out of the program as I’ve already mentioned. They want consistency. However, you’re not a slave to them.

You can book time off under special circumstances. This is handy if you know that you are going to be unavailable for a long period of time.

Try and do this as far in advance as you can so that you give them plenty of warning. This is ideal if you ever go on vacation, a business trip, in case of emergency or have to be away from home for any other reason.

book time off vacation holiday bar codes shop and scan code shopping scanning supermarket grocery groceries data habits receipts

How do I submit my bar codes to Shop and Scan?

You have to upload your receipt photos and transmit your bar code scanner data before the end of each week. This is so that Shop and Scan can collect the information you gather in good time.

You can do this from your browser. In the same way, you can also do it from a downloadable program that is available to all members.

Ensure that you have a strong internet connection during transmission. This is because a drop out could interrupt your bar code transmission. This will fail the whole thing if you go offline meaning you will have to restart the transmission.

I have problems with my internet provider sometimes so I can certainly understand this issue. Your connection needs to be reliable. It has to be stable enough to last the time it takes for the bar code transmission to fully complete.

What do I need for a successful bar code transmission?

You will need to specifically use Internet Explorer every time you want to transmit bar codes to Shop and Scan. Other browsers are not compatible for this and will not work.

Also, you will need to install the USB driver from the website. Do this before you connect the handheld bar code scanner to your computer.

The bar code scanner should make a bleeping sound and the light should flash during transmission. This will stop after it is all over.

What happens to my bar codes & receipts?

Brands can use shopping information in so many different ways, it’s all useful market research data. Retailers mainly use this data to see how popular or unpopular their products and stores actually are.

They can also find out how much your total shopping spend is and where or when you shop. Your feedback will influence how shops work in the future.

Hopefully, they will then be able to improve their business for you. They can then refine and change parts of their brand to better suit the customer’s needs.

What about my privacy?

Shop and Scan won’t use or share your information with third parties without receiving your permission first. For this reason, you shouldn’t feel too concerned about your confidentiality or privacy.

Can I involve my friends in Shop and Scan too?

Shop and Scan don’t currently have a refer a friend or affiliate scheme which is a shame. This means that they can’t financially reward you for referring people.

Although, You can still do this anyway if you know anyone who has an interest like I have. You can also give your own invitation number to someone you know so they can join more easily.

friends family eBay online selling errors mistakes eCommerce book time off vacation holiday bar codes shop and scan code shopping scanning supermarket grocery groceries data habits receipts

Can other people in my household join Shop and Scan?

Other members of your family or household can also take part and benefit from this. Uniquely, large groups can do really well with this. You just need to collectively pool all your receipts and bar codes together every week.

If multiple people want to take part then you will need to make Shop and Scan aware of this. If you don’t then the website will just assume all the data is coming from a single person. This obviously isn’t accurate in this instance.

The panel will need to assign all of you with individual membership numbers. It’s best to let them know this before you decide to register. 

Each household member who uses Shop and Scan will receive an individual panel number. This is so that the system will know the difference between each resident.

What if I need more help with Shop and Scan?

Whenever I need support, my first port of call is the booklet. “Goddammit, will you stop droning on about your precious booklet!?” I know but I can’t help it, it’s so good, you see.

You may want Shop and Scan to explain certain stuff to you in more detail. If so, you’ll be glad to hear that you can get additional help. The website has plenty of tutorial videos available. These clips will slowly walk you through everything, step by step.

Shop and Scan will have no problems answering any questions you have if you contact them. I believe they may even have an FAQ page on the website.

If you take a look inside the booklet that you will receive, there is lots of useful advice. If you have any problems then I find that these will likely be resolved once you read the booklet in more detail.

How do I get in contact with Shop and Scan?

If you need help with a problem or have any other queries then there are lots of ways that you can get in touch with them. You can:

• use the contact form directly on the website
  • call them up on their free phone numbers
  • email them

You can phone Shop and Scan on 08085 560 152 or 0800 389 0342. Furthermore, the email address is [email protected]. You might want to make a note of these contact details so you have it handy when you really need it.

How do I quit Shop and Scan?

If you do decide to quit for whatever reason  then you are free to do so at any time. Although, I don’t know why you would.

You don’t even have to go through a notice period if you do end things. Shop and Scan will give you a pre-paid envelope for you to send back all your equipment

quit exit bar codes shop and scan code shopping scanning supermarket grocery groceries data habits receipts

You can sign up to Shop and Scan right HERE!

In summary, we can certainly establish that Shop and Scan offers an easy and convenient way of earning rewards online. I hope that I have given you all the information you need to take full advantage of this.

From all of this, we can learn that you don’t need much to participate. The panel will provide most of the equipment you don’t already own for free.

We also know how many different rewards there are available for us Shop and Scan members to spend our points on.

I would recommend your next step before you sign up should be to tell all of your friends and family about Shop and Scan.

This will prepare people so that they can keep tabs on all their receipts. This is particularly true for those who you live with and it also means that you can benefit from them.

If Shop and Scan appeals to you then you may also reap the rewards from my post explaining How Mystery Shopping Pays You & Gives You Free Stuff Too!. These two money-makers are strikingly similar so why not check it out?

Do you know of any services similar to Shop and Scan? How often do you transmit your shopping data to Shop and Scan? What do you like and dislike about Shop and Scan from your experience?

Please don’t forget to share this with your friends and like it on social media. You can subscribe to our newsletter and comment below too. Thanks for reading!

Related Posts:

Earn $9,500 Per Month With Your Own Woodworking Business

Receive Infinite Free Samples & (Almost) Never Shop Ever Again!

Earn Money Back On Your Purchases With Cashback Credit Cards

Sick Of Grocery Shopping? Grow Your Own Food & Save Money!

17 Marvelous Mystery Shopping Tips To Save You Time & Money

44 Great Gardening Tips For Growing Succulent Fruit & Vegetables

Ultimate Planting & Harvesting Timetable For Fruit & Vegetables

Money-Making Ideas for Stay-Home Parents

3 thoughts on “Scan Bar Codes & Earn Big Rewards With Shop and Scan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *